Recently I was asked to share five minutes on leadership with the leadership team at our church. Knowing I could not expound on any single point about leadership in five minutes, I gave them, instead, thirteen random thoughts on leadership, none of which were originally, probably, but accumulated over years of management and ministry. The only two I can give credit for are the second and third ones from John Maxwell. He may also deserve credit for some of the others, but I can’t say for sure. So, without further ado, here are the thirteen.
1. Nothing happens until someone provides leadership for it. For example, the Civil Rights
was going nowhere until Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. had a dream.
2. Leadership is influence.
3. The true test of leadership: If thou thinketh thou leadeth, but no one followeth, thou art only out for
4. The foundation of leadership is CHARACTER, not CHARISMA.
5. Leadership can be learned. For example, the 12 Apostles had no leadership experience, but three and
a half years with Jesus, and they learned and changed their world.
6. When you stop learning you stop leading.
7. Leaders must be willing to change.
A. Our message is constant.
B. Our methods are fluent.
8. Leaders must be submitted.
A. The centurion told Jesus, “I am a man UNDER authority.” You shouldn’t have authority if you are
not willing to be under authority.
B. Paul placed himself under the authority of the Council at Jerusalem.
C. Jesus Himself was under the authority of the Father.
9. Leaders are SERVANTS.
10. People follow leaders because they WANT TO. (Okay, this one goes to Maxwell, too.)
11. Leaders don’t get things done. They bring others together to get things done together as a team.
(I think that one might be original.
12. Leaders lead from the front. Years ago I had a sign over my office that read, “There they go. I must
hasten after them, for I am their leader.” Clever, but untrue of leadership.
13. Leaders are willing to take risks.
You probably have some you could add to the list. I’d love to hear from you if you do.
God bless and keep you.